1.01.2008

Last Entertainment Offerings of 2007

2007 wasn't the best year for me, and I, for one, am happy to put it in the rearview. Here's how I entertained myself for the last 12 hours of the year.

Last DVD of 2007: Futurama: Bender's Big Score. Here's a movie that's representative of the entire year for me: it started out strong and limped to a wheezing close, leaving me unsatisfied and pissed off. I loved the TV series, but this direct-to-video offering just wasn't that funny.


Last TV show of 2007: The Friends episode, "The One with All the Resolutions." Because Ross coming out of a date's bathroom with a wadded up, sticky ball of leather, saying, "I had a problem," is funnier than admitting I watched Carson Daly cross his arms uncomfortably on live TV for the last 30 minutes of the year. (Why hasn't that guy jumped in front of a train yet?)


Last book of 2007: I received The Areas of My Expertise for Christmas, written by John Hodgman from The Daily Show. I literally laughed till I cried on more than one evening while reading it. He has a list of 700 hobo names, and I read every single one. Click here for the one, highlighted in red, that gripped me with uncontrollable giggle-spasms and left my face red and damp. I want to write like Hodgman.


Last concert of 2007: Two hours before midnight, I attended a performance by indie rock band Downmind. Sure, it took place in a basement, and yeah, when I left a fifth of the audience vanished, but that doesn't mean they didn't kick all kinds of ass. I'm no music critic, but they were raw and powerful and have a distinctive voice. My new favorite song is "Before and After," which sounds a bit like The Smithereens (with an edge). Give the boys a listen and support your local talent.


Disclaimer: Rider's nephew plays drums and is a founding member of Downmind, and his other nephew dances next to the lead guitarist/singer like the little guy in The Mighty Mighty Bosstones.

2 comments:

McGone said...

A couple good friend's of mine bought me Hodgman's book this year... I had a feeling it would be right up your alley.

Happy New Year.

The Ex said...

I want to make sweet sweet love to John Hodgman