1.22.2008

Ebert on Cloverfield: Who Will Review the Reviewer?™

I don't get paid to blog. I do it for two reasons: 1) I have time on my hands because I'm unemployed, and 2) I love to write. Truth be told, I love to play with words the way Bryan Cranston loves appearing in his tighty-whities on TV.

If I did get paid to blog, however, the quality of my writing would improve to the point that none of my posts would have a "filler" tag. You don't turn in filler when someone's paying you damn good money to write something with content.*

So what's Roger Ebert's excuse with his review of Cloverfield?

If the point of a movie review is to inform readers with an accurate and fair summary of a film, then Mr. Ebert has failed spectacularly with this effort.

Sure, he devotes the requisite word count to pointing out the shakiness of the camerawork (*yawners*), and manages to work in an amusing colonoscopy joke, but then the review devolves quickly into the worst kind of pap. How bad is it? Imagine Ain't It Cool News posting an email from a twitchy ADHD sufferer with an ax to grind after a preview screening of I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry.

Some highlights:

  • Ebert writes that "the statute has run out on the theory that after 9/11 it would be in bad taste to show Manhattan being destroyed"...an obvious point considering actual controversy linking 9/11 and bad taste erupted two years ago following the release of Paul Greengrass' United 93. Plus, scenes of mass destruction in New York have appeared in numerous movies in recent years. I guess Peter Jackson's King Kong didn't count because it took place pre-9/11? That's just lazy writing, dude.
  • He takes issue with a female character walking for miles and then having "the energy to climb 49 flights of stairs...in her high heels" to rescue someone trapped on a building's 49th floor. Ebert apparently didn't hear the characters say they're trying to rescue someone on the 39th floor. And while the heroes actually climb over 57 flights (long story), Ebert failed to see a close-up of Lily's bare feet on the stairwell. I saw it, and I don't even have a Tarantino-like foot fetish. Then again, they were only 40-feet high and filling a movie screen.
  • He points out "the incredible element" of the camcorder's battery lasting "on the evidence of the footage we see, more than six hours, maybe 12." Now, right at the beginning it's established that the "found footage" that makes up the entire movie is shown in real time (depicting exactly what was recorded on a memory card over a seven-hour time-frame). I don't know which hellish director's cut Ebert sat through, but the one I saw was 84 minutes in length.
  • My biggest quibble with his review: he spends an entire paragraph (out of eight) explaining something about the nature of the monster...and then dismisses the entire point by including a parenthetical disclaimer that says, in effect, "I just checked online and I was mistaken about that." See, that's where a paid professional would rewrite and not include the reader in the fact-checking process.
If I were to rate Cloverfield using Ebert's four-star scale, I'd give it a three-and-a-half. He gave it a three. His unfounded complaints and poor writing make it sound like a two. Considering that Roger Ebert has won a Pulitzer Prize for criticism and there's a bar set for his writing, I give his review a one.

By the way, I wasn't compensated in any way for this review of a review. (Hold on! I just checked on the Interweb and see that feedback from readers and high traffic always fills me with a sense of self-importance.)

* Or, if you turn in filler as a professional, you refuse compensation--or take the money but remove your name.

13 comments:

McGone said...

Nicely done. And nice play on the Watchmen tagline.

Rider said...

McGone: ...Huh? Oh, yeah. Yeah, no, I meant to do that.

The Ex said...

Isn't he like in a wheelchair and heavily medicated from cancer treatments? Ehhhh.

Rider said...

Ex: The quality of Stephen Hawking's work hasn't dropped.

The Idea Of Progress said...

I thought he focused on trivial aspects of the movie. When I agree with him, I usually find them funny-- but he notoriously misses things and doesn't have them checked out-- like when he referred to "Starship Troopers" as a fascist movie [The very first thing the director Paul Verhoven says on the commentary track is "This is a movie about fascism. It is not a fascist movie. The Nazis invaded my hometown as a child"]. Sometimes he gets basic events wrong, too.

Still, at least he gave it three stars for the boobs who don't read the reviews.

Okay, rant done.

The Ex said...

That seems like an appropriate connection to make? Stephen Hawking and Roger Ebert are on a level playing field?

It's not like he's ever been good at reviewing movies (or writing, really for that matter) and now seems an inappropriate time to pick on him.

Look at me being all soft.

Rider said...

Ex: I was joking about Hawking, having focused solely on Ebert's writing in my post. Who brought up wheelchairs and cancer?

McGone said...

I may regret getting into this, but bringing up Ebert’s condition is totally inappropriate. It doesn’t have a damn thing to do with anything.

Seriously, that’s like saying because he is in this condition you have to agree with what he says, or at least not comment on it. I can’t speak on behalf of Ebert, but I think he’d be offended by this.

He is a critic. He wants to start conversation. He wants people to think about the things he writes. And he’s used to people disagreeing with his views for his entire career. It’s the nature of the game that he is in.

So you’re saying that if he wrote the Cloverfield review before his cancer/surgery it would be fair game, but now, not?

That’s pandering.

Rider said...

I was going to review Amy Winehouse's new CD, but I just found out she has the sniffles. I'll lay off for now.

Valerie said...

I think you've foud a new niche...metareviews.

Go with it.

The Ex said...

Oh mcgone's gone all dickish. I think I love it. If I had sensed the sarcasm in Eric's Hawking comment then perhaps I wouldn't have expounded upon my thought(or pandering, call it whatever you want).

We'll have to agree to disagree.

Anonymous said...

The mere fact that you would give Cloverfield a three and a half star rating is enough to completely discredit anything you might have to say. Get some taste. Roger Ebert has written thousands of reviews, they aren't all brilliant.

Rider said...

Anonymous: Telling me to "get some taste" because I enjoyed a single movie is akin to me telling you to live in a real city because I noticed you're posting from Edmonton. You are "completely discredited" because I'm from a real city.

I'm not saying that, though, because I understand you have reasons to live where you live, just as I have reasons I enjoyed Cloverfield exactly half a star more than Mr. Ebert. (By the way, what did his positive review do for his credit in your book?)

Had this post actually been my review of Cloverfield rather than of another review, I would have backed my opinions with accurate and relevant reasons...which is more than Mr. Ebert bothered to do.

I agree with you on two points: Ebert has written thousands of reviews. And, of late, they haven't been brilliant.

It doesn't take balls to discredit a blogger, friend. Try going after a world-renowned Pulitzer Prize winner whose work has gotten soft and sloppy.