4.29.2008

Free Advice for Marvel Studios

I'm reading the early reviews for Iron Man online, and while they've been overwhelmingly positive, I'm seeing one red flag in particular: the soundtrack.

Quoting Moriarty from Ain't It Cool: "I wish Hans Zimmer’s score wasn’t so cookie-cutter. We have yet to hear a truly great Marvel hero theme in any of their films."

I agree with that sentiment, but I offer a solution to the Marvel Powers That Be: give Michael Giacchino a call.

I downloaded "Roar," his Cloverfield theme, and it's the most perfect rampaging-giant-monster music you'll ever hear. It sounds like something from a Godzilla flick--only ten times better. And at a buck-ninety-eight for 12 minutes of music it's a bargain.

If you, the blog-reading Marvel Studio suit, don't get Giacchino to score your planned Captain America movie, DC will scoop him up for their Justice League flick and you'll look like tools.

Listen to the man's score for The Incredibles and tell me I'm wrong.

2 comments:

McGone said...

You're absolutely right on this. Giacchino is the tops.* Incredibles, the TV show Alias, whatever, the guy's got a great style. I thought his Mission Impossible III score really added to that movie when heard on a great sound system.


*I'm trying to cut down on saying "awesome" so much. It's harder than I thought.

Valerie said...

All the truly great movies are backed up by awesome soundtracks...

still haven't seen Cloverfield, is it worth renting (it's on DVD now, isn't it?)?