4.16.2008

Almost a Stones Fan

I hadn't been born yet when the Rolling Stones started their career. They'd already begun claiming their place in rock history before I came along. Even though I grew up listening to their hits--which were unavoidable during my childhood--I've never been a fan.

Now I'm wondering if I'm missing something. All 'cuz of Scorcese and iTunes.

I'm hearing great things about Shine a Light. After my 3D experience with U2's concert film, I feel like seeing more movies in that vein. What's the downside of Martin friggin' Scorcese shooting footage of the Stones playing some of their greatest hits? I don't necessarily want to get up in Mick's craggy face as he dances around like the old prick from Six Flags, but there is something to say about appreciating true showmanship up close.

Then there's the fact that when I realized I didn't have any Stones music on my iPod, I downloaded four of my favorites: *
  1. "Gimme Shelter"
  2. "Undercover (Of The Night)"
  3. "Under My Thumb"
  4. "Almost Hear You Sigh"
If you have credit in your iTunes account and you're looking for a recommendation, check out "Almost Hear You Sigh." I've listened to it over and over the last few days and I'd forgotten how much I loved that song back in 1989. Based on that single alone, I'm compelled to go back and explore some of their lesser known tracks.

Any recommendations that might help me appreciate them more? List them in the comments.

* None of my favorites are in Shine a Light's set list, unfortunately.

2 comments:

McGone said...

I didn't realize you weren't a Stones fans - my God, we could have an all day Stones Appreciation camp. I barely know where to begin!

Since he's your gateway drug, here's a list of every Stone's song Scorcese has used in his films, or as goldenfiddle puts it, "every time he used 'Gimme Shelter.'"

This is exciting. I feel like making a playlist for you now.

Anonymous said...

Oh, how sweet.... McGoen is going to make Rider a "mix tape"

"can you hear me knocking" is my favorite, however last I checked, it was not available in iTunes as a single download, only with the whole Sticky Fingers album.