11.19.2008

I Also Am Lame

I've been saying a commercial catchphrase for the past week.

Have you seen the Dunkin Donuts commercial where the woman gets up on top of her roof and says how much she loves Dunkin Donuts coffee? The announcer says taste tests or whatever have shown that people like it better than Starbucks. Meanwhile other people are getting up on their roofs, hoisting their steaming cups, agreeing with the first woman.

That's when one guy on a distant rooftop shouts, "I also love it."

That's the phrase I've been saying. It's an odd sentence, considering you could just say, "I love it, too." I say it with the same inflection as the guy in the ad. But now my meme has already sort of mutated into a random catch-all slogan with my circle of friends and coworkers.

My best bud Tom was in her Honors class yesterday, and when the teacher assigned a huge project that everyone groaned about, Tom said, "I also love it."

So now we're using it in situations that don't even apply to the meaning.

I encourage you to use it today. Say it to the boss when he tells you he loved your work on the TPS report. Or as a swear-substitute when you stub your toe.

3 comments:

Dr Zibbs said...

That commercial is sto stupid that it's catchy.

MJenks said...

Putting also in front of love like that implies that you are loving it as well as doing something else to it. What is that something else?

Ad agencies need to figure out not only what words to use, but also where to put them in the sentence for maximum efficacy. Your reference of "I love it, too" is more grammatically concise than the ad's.

McGone said...

I'm pretty committed to "Sweet Fancy Moses" right now. I've been co-opting it from George Costanza for years now. I'm hoping to make it my thing, kind of like Perry White's "Great Caesar's Ghost" or Gomer Pyle's "Shazam."