11.24.2008

Best Vampire Movie Ever

I saw a great movie this weekend that set the standard for vampire stories, as far as I'm concerned.

It was about a beautiful vampire and a human who fall in love, and how their Romeo-and-Juliet-like relationship affects their respective friends and families. The cinematography was cold and blue. It was directed by a woman named Catherine Kathryn.

No, I'm not talking about Twilight. Heck, no.

I'm talking about Near Dark.

I saw it on DVD and was blown away. It was hard to believe this movie came out 21 years ago. I only realized that when I recognized a much younger "Nathan" from Heroes as the main character.

I love movies where genres are mixed together in a blender, and here Kathryn Bigelow served up a purée'd dish of horror and Western, and it felt like something new and original.

If you already know about this movie, see it again. Buy it.

If you haven't seen it, you're missing out on something far, far better than what Twilight attempts to be.

Compared to Near Dark, Stephenie Meyer's vampire books are like the non-threatening foreign boy that Lisa Simpson wants to hold hands with. But vampires aren't supposed to coddle you and act like one of the Jonas Brothers. They're demons from hell. The minute they're written like gentlemen you've de-fanged them, leaving a pale loser with messy hair drooling on your cleavage with no intention of doing anything about it.

Am I right?

Note: I was a little bothered to see someone's working on a remake. How does anyone think they can make this movie better? It's the most original take on vampires I've seen since Buffy ended its run.

4 comments:

Dr Zibbs said...

I've never heard of this. I'll add it to my list.

Rider said...

The moment you make the creative choice to have your immortal creatures attend school, you've already defanged your vampires. You've decided, "I'll portray my monsters as not having balls."

McGone said...

All this, plus it has Bill Paxton!

MJenks said...

A chimp could write graffiti with his own slung crap and it'd be a better read than Twilight. Notice how I'm not going to bother italicizing it. If you can't bother to put any research or creativity or character development into your story, Stephenie Meyer, then I won't even bother to show your "book" any proper respect.