11.10.2008

Hand It Over, Hand It Over

Golden God, the guitarist in our band, gave me a Smiths CD. He wanted me to know who one of his influences was.

"Listen to it for Johnny Marr," he said, putting a (heartless) hand on my shoulder. "Plug in a good pair of headphones and listen to his guitar. It'll change the way you play yours."

I hadn't listened to The Smiths before (besides hearing "How Soon Is Now" in a movie somewhere). I wasn't sure what to expect, especially after reading McGone's post the other week. But I'm always open-minded when it comes to new music.

After importing the tracks into my iTunes library, I'll say this: "Shoplifters Of The World Unite" may be my new favorite musical discovery of 2008. (Check out my play count.)


Yes, it's partly because of the Marr guitar solo. It raises shivery bumps of gooseflesh every single time I've listened to it. But it's also because of Morrissey's attitude and the lyrics themselves.

Does anyone else have any great music they can recommend for a youngster like myself? I'm looking for that defining track that changed everything when you first heard it.

Odd fact: There's no Smiths albums on iTunes. What's up with that?

2 comments:

McGone said...

Obviously you don't want any recommendations from me.

stephanie p. said...

McG - Don't be that way. I agree with you on The Replacements.