5.05.2008

Cool Exec With a Heart of Steel


Boxter, the official mascot of Rider's Block, was very excited to hear that Iron Man made over $100 million on opening weekend. He's been running around in his little helmet since Friday.*

I was excited to see one of the best superhero adaptations ever committed to film. This is what happens when a comic book publisher has complete financial and creative control over their own properties. DC and Warner Brothers can go suck it with their deadbeat dad Superman who never throws a punch. Feh!

I compare Marvel Studios to the Cylons: they have a plan. Did anyone else sit through the credits and get chills with the promise of that epilogue? And when I heard they've got a Robert Downey Jr. cameo in the upcoming Incredible Hulk...hoo boy, it is on.

I browsed through Rotten Tomatoes for critical reaction to past Marvel franchises, and it's pretty much on track with my tastes. Up until now, I considered Spider-Man 2 to be the best superhero movie. It currently ranks at 93% with 228 reviews. Compare that with Iron Man at 94% with 160-plus reviews.

I stand by my statement that Marvel needs to tap a solid composer for soundtrack duties, but I ended up buying Iron Man's "Merchant of Death" on iTunes anyway. Boxter likes it too.**

* Which meant he had to learn to eat pet food through a straw...no mean feat for a canine.
** I think...hard to tell through the faceplate.

2 comments:

Valerie said...

I think I'm the one person on my blogroll that didn't see Iron Man this weekend.

McGone said...

Ha! I didn't either! But that's only because I have been trying to wear down The Girl (she is tenaciously resisting).