2.11.2008

Creepy Character Actor Plays Creepy Cartoon Character

I defied my life coach's recommendation last September and continued watching Prison Break's third season. Yeah, I know it's a pale imitation of what it used to be. I get that. I can think of ten reasons not to bother anymore.*

But one of the reasons I keep watching is to see one of the creepiest bad guys on television right now.

Robert Knepper is a walking snake with unkempt hair. He's a slimy man-insect that skitters up out of your peripheral vision and caresses your cheek with his antennae and whispers, "How do?" in your ear.

Your first reaction when he appears onscreen is to cringe, and when he touches his tongue to his teeth and sucks in air you feel your gorge rise.

Can you think of anyone else on television who's creepier?

Naturally, I was thrilled when I realized exactly who had voiced the superbly dickish "Chichak" in the animated direct-to-DVD feature Turok: Son of Stone.**

I was sort of bummed, though, during the making-of special feature when Knepper was interviewed and sounded nothing at all like T-Bag.


* Here are five: 1. Wentworth Miller's acting range never strays from David Duchovny doing Richard Gere, 2. Jodi Lyn O'Keefe's features are disturbingly tiny on that wide face of hers, 3. Bellick displays his dirty underwear and/or beer gut in every episode, 4. Sucre still finds ways to cry "Maricruz!" even though she's not on the show anymore, and 5. The prison's Big Bad once showed the absolute extent of his "evil"...by pouring hot coffee on a guy's back. He also won't share his cell phone, the big meany.

** Turok's not rated and it's not for young kids: lots of limbs hacked off and blood spurting, although it does have dinosaurs.

3 comments:

McGone said...

Can you think of anyone else on television who's creepier?

Ann Coulter.

Knepper is great at the creepy, but the fact that his character insisted on living through everything subjected to him is what got me out of the show in the first place. I have no idea how you lasted through this third season.

Rider said...

McGone: I keep watching for two reasons: 1) There's nothing else on Monday nights, and B) The show is funny now...a parody of itself. Something Chuck became after four episodes rather than two seasons.

I hope you're still OK being my life coach. I only failed in this one area.

McGone said...

Eat less red meat. Get more exercise. Keep your feet on the ground and keep reaching for the stars.