11.19.2007

Stop Telling Me to Watch Family Guy

I was enjoying the company of fellow upstanding citizens at the unemployment office today, and I began thinking about The Simpsons--and not just because the gentleman sitting next to me was wearing lounge pants in public featuring Homer ogling a donut.

I'm no fair-weather fan when it comes to my favorite animated yellow family (aside from The Amazing Chan and the Chan Clan). I haven't missed an episode since the series began.

Yet as recently as last month I've had acquaintances go into denial that I don't like an inferior show. "You gotta watch Family Guy, man! It's so much funnier than The Simpsons."

No I don't, and no it's not.

There are three kinds of people in this world: those that like relevant, social humor, those that like poop and puke jokes, and those that go to plays about lesbian witches for $150 a ticket (I'm guessing at that plot 'cuz I'm not a theatre guy).

Here are four frames from a cartoon I made in the pages of a textbook in 5th grade:


That's funnier to me than anything I've seen on Family Guy. If Seth McFarlane was doing it, he'd eliminate the last two panels.

It's time to come back to The Simpsons. Admittedly, the last couple seasons were just OK, but this season they've come back strong. The writers were refreshed from doing the movie, in my opinion, and remembered what made the show great.


Fine, one guy in the unemployment line had Simpsons pants on, but there were ten guys wearing Family Guy pants. What does that tell you?

9 comments:

stephanie p. said...

Neil Gaiman should've been one of the comic creators on that last episode. Still, Dan Clowes making an appearance was pretty cool.

McGone said...

I think you're are wrong about how Seth McFarlane would have handled your cartoon, and that's because you haven't watched it before. He would have actually done all 4 panels and repeated the last 3 no less than 8 times. McFarlane favorite tool in the animated comedy shed is repetition....

...something the Simpsons did better with Sideshow Bob and the stepping-on-the-rake gag.

Oddly (and this is no shit), I just had the Family Guy v. Simpsons conversation this morning with someone whose opinion I respect. She has never watched the Simpsons. I told her to start with the Conan O'Brien penned "Marge vs. The Monorail" and she'd be won over.

McGone said...

In regards to my last comment: "You're" is of course still a contraction for "you are." Sorry about that.

Rider said...

Stephanie: Eightball fan or Ghost World? I'm both.

McGone: You're right. I haven't watched an entire episode of F.G., but I was subjected to hours of "best of" videos played over and over on YouTube at my last job. They all blend into a flurry of punches and puking.

Grampa Simpson singing, "Were you sent here by the devil?" makes me laugh every time I think of the monorail song.

Valerie said...

I've never watched an entire episode of Family Guy. Let's form a club: People that have never watched Family Guy.

I look forward to the day that I can watch "The Simpsons" with my kids...they're not old enough yet. I love that show.

Slinger said...

Family Guy is HORRIBLE! I too have never seen an entire episode.

Anonymous said...

I love the simpsons as much as the next man, but you cant honestly say family guy aint funny. I will admite the is and only ever will be one "the simpsons" but you could say exactly the same for family guy and south park for that matter...

Anonymous said...

while searching for a site to download family guy episodes i came across you.
i found your post really interesting.

Unknown said...

Both Simpsons and Family Guy Tv Show are comedy shows but Pople love Family guy Tv Show because it ia adult type show.