11.21.2007

The Block is Engulfed by The Mist

The Mist: Written and directed by Frank Darabont, based on the novella by Stephen King.


Baggage going in:
I read the original story back in 1985 when it was part of the Skeleton Crew collection, and a year later I purchased the 3-D audiobook version on cassette (which remains a mind-blowing experience). It is one of my top ten favorite King stories. When I heard Darabont was going to helm the big-screen adaptation I broke down into tears and wee-wee'd in my boxers.

You know you're in the right movie when:
The stockroom scene cements its faithfulness to the source material by recreating even the bursting bag of dog food...but the suckers on the tentacles have now been upgraded to long, black spikes. Don't stand near the door, Norm!

I have ADD--boil it down™: A mysterious mist harboring bloodthirsty creatures rolls over Castle Rock, Maine, and a melting pot of townspeople are trapped in a grocery store...Thomas Jane becomes every character he plays, and he's unrecognizable at first...the subtext during the "consequences of ruling through fear" conversation made me want to stand and applaud...you may want to smack Marcia Gay Harden in real life because of her perfect Mrs. Carmody (but don't)...I was disappointed by no King cameo...CG was top-notch...Toby Jones as "Ollie" deserves to be the next big action hero...make sure your date doesn't eat popcorn with too much butter on an empty stomach like mine did.

Final word: D
arabont takes you farther into the mist than even King did--and ultimately schools him in the ways of raw horror.

Hardcore rating:
4 out of 5 "Hardcore, Chucks"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love the rating system, pure genius, man.